Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost


Series: Night Huntress Book 1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Copyright: 2007
Pages: 358
Book Source: Own Purchase

Flirting with the grave...
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father--the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner--are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her new found status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat - http://www.jeanienefrost.com/

Marry me Bones?? I kid you not I've found a new leading man in the hottest vampire popularity stakes. I cannot believe how long I've waited to start this series (what was I thinking) and I'm now devising ways to inhale the rest of the series so I'm up-to-date with all the Cat & Bones action!

This is one action packed ride as we follow Cat from lone amateur vampire slayer to kick-ass partnership with master vampire Bones. But Halfway to the Grave has so much more than action, this urban fantasy has plenty of laugh out loud moments, hilarious one-liners, a big helping of romance & quite a few steamy scenes where I was seriously at risk of self combustion.

Cat isn't your typical heroine, and I loved that about her; she's moody, brooding, sarcastic, wields a mean stake and has a tough outer shell shielding a vulnerabilty that's believable. Cat doesn't really fit in to either of the world's that have produced her and the complicated relationship with her mother stems mainly from her mother's hatred of all things 'vampire' including Cat's half 'dark' side.

"I'm saying that I'm a moody, insecure, narrow-minded, jealous, borderline homicidal bitch, and I want you to promise me that you're okay with that, because it's who I am, and you're what I need." ...

"Would you mind repeating that?" he said at last, another emotion replacing the strain on his face. "I'm afraid I might have lost my wits altogether and just hallucinated what I've longed to hear."


Bones, *sigh* hot, hot, sexy, leather-clad Bones. Tough, protective, romantic when it counts, sexy British accent & irreverant, sarcastic humour. The scenes where Bones trains Cat not to react to 'dirty-talk' are seriously blushworthy and if your heart isn't racing when Cat & Bones get it on, then you must be dead. I love the fact that it's the hero trying to get the heroine to accept and embrace her vampire side instead of the other way around & I absolutely adore the tender but humourous dialogue between Bones & Cat "Let's go, Kitten, before you kill someone else." "How about I let you floss with my jugular as well?"

Another *sigh*, did I mention I love Bones ...

So if you're like me and a little late getting on the Cat & Bones' bandwagon, take my advice and wait no longer. This is without doubt a new favourite series for me, Jeaniene Frost is uber awesome and she guarantees readers who stick with the series, will see Cat & Bones get a HEA. I'll leave you with these final words from Bones:

"If you run from me, I'll chase you. And I'll find you." ooh please!

Visit Jeaniene Frost's (yes that is her real name) terrific website & blog to find out more about this author and her work.




This month on The Eclectic Reader you could win Fire by Kristen Cashore OR Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick OR Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. Check this blog post for details. International entrants welcome.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome :)
    She is on my wishlist, and all I hear is I love you Bones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teddyree!

    What can I say, it's just gets better and better! I love this series, Bones is the perfect romantic lead for this great urban fantasy.

    Fantastic review! Made me want to crawl right into the book too.

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this series about six months ago..and I thought the same thing..what have I been waiting for?!?. GREAT series...Bones can be your husband as long as I get him for a boyfriend on the weekends :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my fave series - definitely on my keeper/re-read shelf. I love Bones- he's on my "fictional boyfriend" list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. B ~ yep, I am totally hooked. I've finally got them all in my hot little hands :-)

    Sassy ~ you should rush out and get them all lol

    Dottie ~ I keep reading the quote I used for teaser tuesday and thinking aww I could so easily re-read this book again lol. But I'll restrain myself & move on to One Foot in the Grave.

    Mandi ~ LMAO you are too funny. I just don't know whether I'm capable of sharing hahaha. Am I going to love book 2??

    Patti ~ it's going to take some doing to top Bones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this in my tbr stack, can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I'm sitting here reading your review, excited all over again that I'm not the only one who hasn't started Cat's series when I get a weird sense of deja' vu.

    DUH!! I saw this your post on Royal Reviews. I was like I could have sworn I commented on Teddyree's review for this...*smacks head*

    But now it does make want to read it all the more...Bones sounds super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You gotta love a hot Vamp! LOL! So five stars, you say! I will definitely be adding this to my must read soon pile, thanks! great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I know one person that does not love this series. As far as Bones how could you not love a man that will talk to you like he does Cat...... Drool!!!!!

    I am so glad you liked it. Jeaniene Frost is awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved loved loved this book! It was my introduction to the paranormal theme in adult books, no kidding. I've had a major crush on Bones ever since...and am secretly planning a wedding with him. Don't tell my fiance! Ahahaha.

    Fantastic review! Now I want to read the newest book..since it's still sitting here. I've been swamped with review books and haven't been able to get to it :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must admit, one of the reasons I've never picked up this series is because of the cover art I really don't like. I know, seems shallow of me. But seriously, covers like these always bear an association to some corny romance books, and I'm really not into that genre.

    But reading your review, I've changed my mind. And if I end up LOVING this series, you're the one I should be thanking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. elnice ~ seriously, DON'T WAIT!

    Mishel ~ LOL yeah that Teddyree, she gets around. I just can't let Royal have all the Cat and Bones action :-)

    Krista ~ I kid you not I lurved it!

    Book Whisperer ~ congrats on your exceptional taste LOL

    Falling off the Shelf ~ you can't have him, he's MINE LMAO. I know that dilemma, when review books have to take precedence over what you really want to read :-(

    Nikola ~ let me know when you become a Cat and Bones groupie LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to go outside to cool off after reading your review....Bones sounds like my kind of guy!! I'm going to be looking up this series!!!

    I give your review 5 stars for awesomeness, comedy, and just flat-out fun!!! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a series I have been wanting to start...no time...ugh! Great review though...makes me kick myself for not having the time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everyone raves about this series. I must give it a go!

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely going to read this sooner than planned.
    Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. *raise her hand* I haven't read this series yet but I have the books on my shelves. Great review! I'm moving them up to the top of Mt. TBR. I want to get to know Cat and Bones too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box