Sunday, October 11, 2009

One Foot In The Grave by Jeaniene Frost


Series: Night Huntress Book 2
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Copyright: 2008
Pages: 357
Book Source: Own purchase

You can run from the grave, but you can't hide . .

Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She's still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind.

Being around him awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline kick of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head—wanted: dead or half-alive—means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard she tries to keep things professional between them, she'll find that desire lasts forever . . . and that Bones won't let her get away again.

Another brilliant installment in this series. Honed to perfection, Jeaniene Frost has created an unputdownable read, a perfect blend of intense action, sexy romance, hilarious dialogue and nail-biting suspence, and I didn't think it was possible but ... Bones is even hotter, I kid you not!

Four years on from Halfway to the Grave, Cat is a meaner, bitchier, more dangerous, sex-deprived vampire slayer consumed by her work as a federal agent. But hey, in all fairness, 4 years of no Bones & no sex, I'd be snaky too LOL. Cat is still ridding the world of bad vamps and still seeking revenge against her father but she now has a lean, mean team of men backing her, men she has trained herself. As much as I love reading about Cat and Bones (any page with Bones on it, is a great one, in my absolutely un-biased and humble opinion) I really enjoyed the introduction to the guys on Cat's team; fun, tough, interesting men that I hope to see more of in future novels.

We learn more about Bones & his powers in One Foot In The Grave, this completely and utterly drool-worthy master vamp will take some beating in the sexiest bad-boy stakes. The reunion between Cat and Bones at a friend's wedding is well worth the short but anxious wait and once again the witty one-liners & humorous scenes provide many laugh out loud moments.

"Hallo luv. Long time no taste."

"You and I need to talk, Kitten."
"Now?" I asked in disbelief, gesturing to the dead vampire near his feet.
"It's not like he's going anywhere, so yeah. Now."

The 'cat' fight between Cat and Annette (the 1st vampire Bones' made) is a hilarious scene of jealous rivalry that leads to this excerpt that I just have to quote and subsequently to some smokin hot, set the sheets on fire horizontal action that had me needing a cold shower!! Chapter 32, chapter 32 *sigh*.

"You could go ahead and beat her bloody, or ... you could give me such loud, screaming orgasms that the sound of them blisters her ears. If you have any former-whore-turned-promiscuous-vampire tricks you've been holding back, well, bring them on. I only have one stipulation: You'd better outperform any service you gave to her or anyone else, because if I don't wake up tomorrow red in the face from embarrassment at what you did to me, I'll be disappointed"

Kudos to Jeaniene Frost & my undying gratitude for a series that is turning out to be 'the series of the year' for me and the most reading fun I've had in a long time!
Bring on more Cat & Bones action, I'm going straight on to book 3, At Graves End.


Visit Jeaniene Frost's terrific website & blog to find out more about this author and her work.

See my review for the 1st book in the Night Huntress series  - Halfway to the Grave - 5 stars



To celebrate my 1st Blogoversary two lucky readers can take their pick from a choice of 6 books in this month's spookalicious competition. Check this blog post for details. International entrants welcome.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Teddyree :)
    Thanks for the great post on Jeaniene Frost's novel One Foot In The Grave.
    I'm looking forward to reading it too.
    All the best,
    RKCharron
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wanted to read this series for a long time but every time I saw it on the shelves I somehow didn't get it. I like the funny, I think it would add a lot of appeal to me since I am not very crazy about the urban, paranormal, romance books. But I really want to give it a try and find one that will make me change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty pink fluffy cup cakes (cooked by Annie) to eat and a hot book to read! I have to read some other books but you're making it very hard! I really just want to pick this up and read it! What am I going to do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not familiar with this series but it sounds really good. Happy reading =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. RKCharron ~ can't wait to see what you think!

    Lilly ~ just go for it, this could be the one that does it for you. I know I was kicking myself waiting so long to read Halfway to the Grave.

    Alaine ~ an irresistable combination!but don't forget, once you start you won't want to stop... that goes for the cupcakes and Bones lol

    Kate ~ it's awesome, my new favourite series for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have all her books and still haven't open one - I love your review and I must rethink my reading plan ...

    This sounds fantastic...

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome review! Seriously, you have me wanting to pick up this book and read it again. I love the scenes that you highlighted. Love those scenes.

    I love this series as well...can't not wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Night Huntress series is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DUDE This is turning out to be my favorite series EVER!

    CHAPTER 32! Chapter 32!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Chapter 32 aka the Fang and Lube scene will be immortalised forever.

    i love and completely agree with what you said bout Bones - "any page with Bones on it, is a great one, in my absolutely un-biased and humble opinion" So true

    Great Review

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh oh, sounds good! And everyone keeps talking about this Bones guy. This book is really on my list

    ReplyDelete
  12. E.H ~ wait no longer, get on it girl!!

    Deanna ~ isn't it awesome, I'm just about jumping up and down in excitement at the thought of At Grave's End, just got to finish my Sarah Dessen library book lol

    Zia ~ thanks, I'll pop over shortly

    J.Kaye ~ great, bump them up the priority list LOL

    Taschima ~ was that the best chapter EVER???? I just keep smiling, everytime I think about it and then I want to go re-read it LOL

    K ~ fang & lube scene immortalised LOL, yep couldn't agree more! Now I really want to re-read it! See comment above lol

    Blodeuedd ~ get onto these books, you are so missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not my cup of tea, but you did a fab review Teddy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I AGREEE! CHAPTER 32! lol i abs love this series <3 bones! great review =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. God, that was a HOT excerpt.. :D
    I am blushing ((sigh))! Can u stop putting more books in my kitty! I am going down with the weight :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenny ~ thanks muchly sweetie :-)

    Leslie ~ I'm not gonna forget that chapter in a hurry lol

    Veens ~ LOL you crack me up, glad I can help contribute to your groaning book wishlist. Least with this series you'll go out with a smile on your face :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love urban fantasy but haven't read these. Thanks for the review. I'll have to put them on my list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box