Thursday, January 22, 2009

Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh

Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1)
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Psy-Changeling #1
Publication Date: 
Pages: 345
Book Source: Own purchase

Synopsis: Nalini Singh dives into a world torn apart by a powerful race with phenomenal powers of the mind-and none of the heart.
In a world that denies emotions, where the ruling Psy punish any sign of desire, Sascha Duncan must conceal the feelings that brand her as flawed. To reveal them would be to sentence herself to the horror of "rehabilitation" - the complete psychic erasure of everything she ever was...
Both human and animal, Lucas Hunter is a changeling hungry for the very sensations the Psy disdain. After centuries of uneasy coexistence, these two races are now on the verge of war over the brutal murders of several changeling women. Lucas is determined to find the Psy killer who butchered his packmate, and Sascha is his ticket into their closely guarded society. But he soon discovers that this ice-cold Psy is very capable of passion - and that the animal in him is fascinated by her. Caught between their conflicting worlds, Lucas and Sascha must remain bound to their identities - or sacrifice everything for a taste of darkest temptation...
My Thoughts:
This book seriously blew me away - a paranormal suspense/romance with a kick-butt edge to it (and if you could possibly want more, a serial killer) - my recipe for a perfect book. 


Nalini Singh has come up with an innovative plot, creative & complex without being complicated. I loved getting to know the fascinating psy/changeling world. 

The Psy population have supposedly been conditioned to feel no emotion, through the use of a program called 'Silence', however this does not prove to be true for all Psy. With powers including telepathy, telekinesis & foresight the Psy consider themselves far superior to Changelings. 

The PsyNet is the network that connects all Psy, provides Psy feedback and ensures their survival. The changelings are both animal & human with traits of both and in 'Slave to Sensation' leopard packs & wolf packs are the predominant changelings. 

The characters are marvellously developed, Sascha Duncan is a powerful Psy cardinal and Lucas Hunter is panther Changeling, the Alpha of the DarkRiver leopard pack. The relationship between these two develops around the hunt for a serial killer; a Psy murderer who is slaying Changeling women. Sascha is drawn to the warmth & affection of the pack and truly believes that not only is she flawed but because she is 'feeling' her slide into insanity is escalating. 

The chemistry between Sascha and Lucas is sizzling and this reader certainly appreciated the HOT scenes and the HOT male characters. 

I want my very own panther with 'skin privileges' but I guess I'll just have to settle for reading the next in Nalini Singh's series 'Visions of Heat'


8 comments:

  1. You totally sold me. I have signed up for the 999 Paranormal Reading Challenge and needed this recommendation! ;)

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just got that one earlier last week :-) And with your review, I just have to pick it up as fast as possible now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you are going to love it. I have just started the 2nd in her PsyChangeling series - Visions of Heat. Will let you know what its like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, can't wait to hear what you think about #2 :-)
    Oh, you might want to know that there's a short story on Nalini Singh's web page. It's set between #1 & #2...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup I have heard good things about Nalini's books. I really should give them a go ;)
    And you do make the series sound great

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read anything by this author but I love true crime type stories with serial killers. I have always been a fan thrillers. I am not big on romance though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading this review, I'm definitely adding this book to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a marvelous review. You have piqued my curiosity.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box