Sunday, June 07, 2009

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

Published: May 2009 Pages: 357 Genre: Young Adult Urban Fantasy I have to agree with Kelley Armstrong's statement about the difficulty of describing a book that's part of a series - "You know the big problem with a trilogy? After the first book, it gets really hard to describe the next one without giving away serious spoilers ..." Chloe is running for her life with three other supernatural teenagers - a charming sorcerer, a troubled werewolf and a temperamental young witch. Together they have a chance for freedom - but can Chloe trust her new friends? - book cover So, the dilemma is, how to impart my enjoyment of this story without giving anything away? Let me just say, this is one sequel that’s even better than its predecessor. You absolutely must read this series in order as The Awakening picks up where The Summoning left off. Chloe, Derek, Simon, & Tori learn some very disturbing information about their genetic makeup and struggle to gain control of their powers while staying one step ahead of the Edison Group. The Awakening delivered in so many areas for me; captivating characters, suspense, action, plenty of skin crawling creepy moments and the pacing of the story is perfect. I love Armstrong's character development, she does a wonderful job conveying both the intensity & conflict in teenage emotion. There is the possibility of a love interest for Chloe from 2 sides, Simon & Derek, but I find myself rooting for Derek; the atypical hero is quite refreshing. I was completely enthralled, this YA novel is an absolutely riveting read that I'm sure will delight fans of any age.

Unfortunately like all good things, The Awakening came to an end & we now have an anxious wait for the 3rd & final installment in the Darkest Powers trilogy, The Reckoning due for release 1st May 2010. Don't forget you can visit Chloe Saunders' blog for a free novella about Simon and Derek and events leading up to their arrival at Lyle House. It's been written in serial form & there's a new chapter posted on the 1st and 15th of every month. When it's complete it will be transferred to the locker section of Chloe’s website. See my reviews of other Kelley Armstrong novels The Summoning Bitten Stolen

10 comments:

  1. 1 whole year away, yikes, then I am glad i haven't started on the series yet. I do hate waiting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review Teddyree. :)

    Kelly Armstrong is a talented writer. I'm looking forward to reading more of her work.

    Happy Sunday!

    L

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still waiting to receive mine from the library. Though just to let you know, I received my prize Bitten by Kelly Armstrong, in the post yesterday, so thank you very much for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is series is getting close to the top of my tbr pile. I have only heard good things..can't wait to get to them. (and then suffer the wait for the next:_

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't agree with you more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good review and you didnt give away anything. I really want to get stuck into this series.

    Perhaps if I hold of all 3 will be out and I can read all in one sitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A year is tooooo long *whine*

    Kelley Armstrong is amazing. Bitten is in my TBR pile and I am expecting nothing but awesomeness out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i swear i can wait until may 1st without exploding.

    i swear i can wait until may 1st without exploding.

    i swear i can wait until may 1st without -explodes-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicole & LAJ ~ LOL I know it's a real killer isn't it!!

    Caspette ~ nah I reckon you should read the first two now and then suffer like the rest of us LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read both The Summoning and The Awakening this weekend. I loved both of them but I agree that The Awakening is better! Now we must wait almost a year to find out what happens next(that's almost unbearable LOL).

    I'm rooting for Derek as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box