Thursday, August 27, 2009

Support Your Local Authors


Literary Locals, a monthly event, highlighting our local authors, both past and present!! This event is a wonderful idea hosted by Tif Talks Books, head on over to her blog to sign up and support your local authors.

I was very excited to come across local author Katherine Howell when I picked up her debut novel Frantic by chance. When her 2nd novel, The Darkest Hour proved just as riveting, I became a devoted fan!

Australian crime author Katherine Howell is a former ambulance officer. She was born & raised in Sydney & now resides on the New South Wales north coast. Katherine is working on her 3rd novel, Cold Justice, due for Australian release in Feb 2010. She is also a delightful lady to correspond with :-) Katherine's novels look at crime from a very unique angle; the dual viewpoint of paramedic and police gives the reader a distinctive & atypical perspective.

You can see my reviews of Katherine's novels by clicking on the titles - Frantic (Don't forget, you can win a copy of Frantic by clicking here but hurry, contest ends Friday 28th)
Check out these great quotes about Katherine's work: "Author Katherine Howell is a former Sydney paramedic and is set to do for that profession what US author Patricia Cornwell did for forensic pathologists." - http://www.bdrecorder.co.uk/  

“... her fast moving plots, sharp writing and well-developed characters grip the reader from the first page. Both novels feature a woman paramedic and draw on Howell’s considerable experience in the field.” - Sisters in Crime

"Howell may have left the ambulance service but she can still drive a narrative at full speed with the sirens blaring. Pass me the oxygen." - Sydney Morning Herald
FRANTIC won the 2008 Davitt Award for best crime novel by an Australian author, then on the 21st August this year THE DARKEST HOUR won the 2009 Davitt Award for best crime novel in the Reader's Choice category. What an awesome achievement!!

This month on The Eclectic Reader you could win Frostbitten by Kelley Armstrong OR The White Queen by Philippa Gregory OR Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink. Check this blog post for details. International entrants welcome.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Katherine Howell for a local author. You're quite lucky. I have heard and read so many good things about her.
    Unfortunately, where I live people don't want to write or when they do, they suck! :( (of course i could just do the whole New York state, but being that I live at the very end of Long Island, that wouldn't be local.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally great one to support! I am late on mine...haven't even contacted the author.

    Ugh! So much to do...not enough hours in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea. I will have to look into local authors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lilly ~ I'm so glad I came across Katherine's novels, I've loved the paramedic angle.

    J.Kaye ~ I'm totally with you there!! But don't worry mine is up a little early cause I have the week from hell coming next week lol

    Viv ~ it's a great idea isn't it. I think I saw it on J.Kaye's blog and then followed the links to Tif Talks Books (a blog I hadn't heard of till this point.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just picked up a Michigan author the last time I was at the library!! Great idea and I should probably sign up for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fabulous to have such an outstanding author as a local author. I am keeping my fingers crossed about her contest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so very excited to have you on board, supporting your local authors!! Thank you!! I'm really hoping these books will be available here in the states because you have convinced me to add these to my wish list!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box