Thursday, October 28, 2010

Destined For An Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Night Huntress Book 4
Copyright: 2009
Pages: 385
Book Source: Own book

Her deadly dreams leave her in grave danger...

Since half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her undead lover Bones met six years ago, they've fought against the rogue undead, battled a vengeful Master vampire, and pledged their devotion with a blood bond. Now it's time for a vacation. But their hopes for a perfect Paris holiday are dashed when Cat awakes one night in terror. She's having visions of a vampire named Gregor who's more powerful than Bones and has ties to her past that even Cat herself didn't know about.

Gregor believes Cat is his and he won't stop until he has her. As the battle begins between the vamp who haunts her nightmares and the one who holds her heart, only Cat can break Gregor's hold over her. She'll need all the power she can summon in order to bring down the baddest bloodsucker she's ever faced . . . even if getting that power will result in an early grave.

Review:
Can I just say Bones sooo does it for me and leave it at that :)

No?? you want more convincing ... ok.

This would have to be one of my favourite urban fantasy series, the perfect combination of high-octane action, passion, hilarious dialogue, suspense, Bones, Bones, and did I mention Bones.

While Cat & Bones don't quite set the sheets on fire in Destined For An Early Grave, passion is definitely back and I was ... most satisfied :)  I guess we've been spoilt, it would take a lot to surpass the infamous hot and dirty chapter 32 in book 2 but anything with Bones and Cat doing the horizontal mambo or the vertical mambo for that matter is a winner! Obviously there's more to the story than the aforementioned postitions but when it comes to Bones I seem to have trouble maintaining a coherent train of thought. 

Now where was I? Cat and Bones' relationship issues escalate in this installment, due in part to obstinancy and lack of communication on both sides but the introduction of new villian Gregor also contributes to sparks flying. Fortunately the snarky one-liners had me laughing out loud overriding my desire to smack the couple's heads together on the odd occasion. Once again old friends provide a great supporting cast and I love Fabian's (the ghost) role in this book.

There are so many great quotes I could tease you with but I'll leave you with this one between Cat's mother, Justina and Ian.

"Don't you have somewhere else you could be?" she asked him in a withering voice.
Ian's smile just broadened. "Certainly. Pull up your skirt, and I'll show you."

I can't squeal enough about this series and I'm seriously going to suffer waiting for my next Cat & Bones fix in This Side Of The Grave coming 22nd Feb 2011

Visit Jeaniene Frost's terrific website & blog to find out more about this author and her work.

See my reviews for the first three books in the Night Huntress series  - Halfway to the Grave  & One Foot In The Grave  (both 5 stars) and At Graves End  4.5 stars.



This month on The Eclectic Reader THREE lucky readers will win their choice of books. Check this blog post for details. International entrants welcome.

9 comments:

  1. I actually just bought all four books in this series after hearing some people talking about... Bones... on Twitter. Hah, you ladies are really making me curious about this guy! Cannot wait to read my copies and we'll see if I enjoy them as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this series! Bones... *sigh*

    I'm right there with you waiting for the next book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You so make me wanna red book 1..now!!! Too bad I borrowed 2 Chadwick books from a friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like urban fantasy but haven't read these yet! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sheree...hihi. Haha!! Too much bones.....Bones......*Wink...wink....
    Hahahaha...=) Have a great day..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to read this just because it's your favorite urban fantasy series!! I think I'm going to start a little challenge for myself for next year and try to read 1 book from each of my favorite blogger's reviews!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm working on a challenge post for 2011. I just made a button to go with it and will add a Mr. Linky. I am hoping that after bloggers do their end-of-the-roundups that they'll link their posts so that others can peruse it and choose a book to read for the challenge. Your series will be on my list for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I recall correctly, this was not my favorite book in the series but I still loved it.

    What I have to say is...when I saw your post title I immediately felt a rush of excitement. Squee! I love this series!!! I cannot wait for the next book to be released. I think this is my favorite urban fantasy series....love it!

    Have you read The Gardella Vampire Chronicles by Colleen Gleason? If not, you should. I just finished reading the books, and well...I loved it. I hope to post my reviews of these books within the next week or so.

    By the way, for me, you can say that "Bones sooo does it for me and leave it that"!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box