Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins


Genre: YA Fantasy
Series: Hunger Games #3
Copyright: 2010
Pages: 398
Book Source: Own Purchase

Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Kattnis, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding.

Well after much anticipation, breath holding and yes a degree of sadness we say goodbye to Katniss, Peeta, Gale, and the whole Hunger Games crew. Collins' writing is masterful to the end making the Hunger Games series completely addictive and for me an overall favourite as far as series go. Brilliant, amazing, unique!

High praise, so why only 4 stars for Mockingjay? (still a good rating mind you.) I guess expectations can make or break a novel and whilst I expected violence, pain & suffering; it is war after all, I would have loved to see just a little joy with the heartache. I certainly wasn't expecting (or desiring) a sugar-coated happy ending but I couldn't help thinking poor Katniss ... give the girl a break!

Suzanne Collin's throws in a few 'curly ones' to keep the reader awake, some I anticipated and some I didn't, one that had me blubbering ... waahhh not fair and one I almost missed it was so anti-climactic. As far as the whole Team Peeta or Team Gale debate goes, I liked both equally for different reasons and would have been satisfied whatever the outcome in that department.

While Mockingjay left me feeling just a wee bit disappointed, don't let this put you off. The series on a whole is absolutely EPIC, one of the best I've read and any future novels by Suzanne Collins will qualify as automatic purchases :)


This month on The Eclectic Reader you can win a copy of Matched by Allie Condie, or Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead or The Leopard Unleashed by Elizabeth Chadwick. Check this blog post for details. Open Internationally.

10 comments:

  1. what a fantastic review - I gave it four stars as well - i was a tiny disappointed but there's no denying it's a pretty brilliant read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been tempted to take a stab at this series. Seeing that you liked it so much I think I will. Thanks for the great review and recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I haven't read Catching Fire yet I skipped to the last paragraph. Your review is not the first to say there was a wee bit of disappointment with this one. I think with some series it is inevitable. Won't stop me though :) Thanks for reminding me I need to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wee bit :( Makes me sad but hey I will still read it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review and well put I too had my little "GAHS!" in the book but was happy with the series and over all very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm such a slug when it comes to reading the last two books!! I must get my butt into gear soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I agree, there was one twist I don't think was entirely necessary but it was still a great finish to the series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am reading this now! The disspointing ending seems to be a general consenis around the book bloggers. I guess I will find out when I get there! Still enjoying the series though so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh well, Am I the only mortal in this world who has not read this series yet?! :(
    I will, someday definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only read the first book in this series -- I need to finish it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box