Friday, May 06, 2011

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter


Genre: YA
Series: Goddess Test #1
Publication Date: 26th April 2011
Pages: 297
Book Source: Harlequin Teen

Synopsis: Every girl who has taken the test has died. Now it's Kate's turn.

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and now her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests. Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible.

If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.
If she fails ...

Review:
The Goddess Test is an entertaining modernisation based loosely on Greek mythology (which I happen to love) ... a sequel to the Hades & Persephone myth. However, if you have preconceived ideas on the 'badass' Olympian Gods of Greek mythology I'd suggest putting them aside before starting this debut novel or you may be a tad disappointed.

Kate is a compassionate, likeable character, her sadness regarding her mother's illness is palpable and I completely related to the tangible emotion between mother and daughter. I found Henry (Hades) a bit 'meh', definitely brooding and mysterious but lacking spark; more a 'cupcake' version of the Hades I'm familiar with.

I'm not too sure about the correlation between Greek mythology and the Christian based 7 deadly sins but if you don't get too hung up on the technicalities, it does work, in a weird way. While this story has its darker moments there's also a sweet, fairytale quality to it and I'm grateful that the ending was brought to us without the dreaded cliffhanger!

I'm definitely keen to see where Aimee Carter takes this series so I'll be keeping an eye out for Goddess Interrupted due for release Feb 2012.

Want to know more about Aimee Carter? Check out her website and blog.

6 comments:

  1. I loved this book, but did g o into it with little knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to read this one. Although worried about a 'cupcake' Hades!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to read it cos I like the myth too, but I wish hades was more then meh

    ReplyDelete
  4. A "cupcake" Hades? Hmmm.. No matter, this book still is intriguing to me. I like Greek Mythology re-tellings; this one is going on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure about this one, but great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg Cabot also has a YA book based on the Hades and Persephone myth-Abandon, which I didn't really care for. I have The Goddess Test on my TBR list though and I might try to get it from the library some time. I do love Greek mythology but I think I prefer mythology based fiction more along the Percy Jackson variety. Good review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box