Saturday, June 11, 2011

Between Here and Forever by Elizabeth Scott


Genre: Contemporary YA
Publication Date: May 24th 2011
Pages: 256
Book Source: Simon & Schuster GalleyGrab

Synopsis: Abby accepted that she can’t measure up to her beautiful, magnetic sister Tess a long time ago, and knows exactly what she is: Second best. Invisible.

Until the accident.

Now Tess is in a coma, and Abby’s life is on hold. It may have been hard living with Tess, but it's nothing compared to living without her.

She's got a plan to bring Tess back though, involving the gorgeous and mysterious Eli, but then Abby learns something about Tess, something that was always there, but that she’d never seen.

Abby is about to find out that truth isn't always what you think it is, and that life holds more than she ever thought it could...

Review:
What can I say, I adore Elizabeth Scott's writing, she is one of those authors with a special gift that allows readers to be there, not just reading a story and observing; but involved, sharing in something that could quite easily be your own life or that of someone you know. I also love how Elizabeth Scott doesn't shy away from the tough stuff.

That said, Between Here & Forever doesn't have the take-your-breath-away, gut-wrenching significance of Living Dead Girl but there's still Scott's trademark ability to put into words, the things we often think but never say, for fear of sounding stupid, selfish, or downright mean.

Abby is one of those characters you don't necessarily like or identify with but it still feels like she's based in reality with more than her fair share of flaws and insecurities. Her non-existent self esteem and constant whining annoyed me but I understood why she thought so little of herself. Eli I liked immediately, his good looks could have made him too perfect but his battle with OCD gave him a vulnerability that was genuine and touching.

Between Here and Forever is a sad story of a family in pain, scared to get on with life, scared to hope, existing in that awful place between what is and what may be or god forbid, what may never be. It's also a story about relationships, the ripple effect of secrets, love, sexuality, teen pregnancy, loss, hope, fitting in and taking chances.

Not my favourite Elizabeth Scott but definitely worth the read.

See my review of Living Dead Girl ~ one story I will never forget!


9 comments:

  1. Lovely review :) But I do not know if I would like her if you say there are some issues

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will read this because it is a Elizabeth Scott book. I agree, Living Dead Girl is one not to miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new one for me! thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good. I never read a book written by Elizabeth Scott before, but I think I will start with Living Dead Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good. I never read a book written by Elizabeth Scott before, but I think I will start with Living Dead Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy her books too and Living dead Girl just about did me in. I'll read this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read Elizabeth Scott yet, and I'm really on the fence about her!
    2 Kids and Tired Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! Haven't read a book from this author but sounds like I should!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't believe I have read anything by this author, but it sure does seem like I ought to. I am now curious about Living Dead Girl so off to read your review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box