Saturday, November 26, 2011

Six Sentence Saturday Reviews


SIX SENTENCE SATURDAY

My US buddy Staci from Life in the Thumb designed this review format and I'm stealing borrowing it because it's cool! Actually she gave me permission; isn't she sweet? Thanks Staci <3

Six Sentence Saturday is:
"Where I try to express my thoughts on recent reads using only 6 sentences!!!
At the end of each review I will post a rating scale of 1-5 using the cute and original (lol) Playing Cards."

Rating scale will be as follows:

5 of Hearts - You must read this book NOW!!
4 of Hearts - A great read, put it on your TBR list
3 of Hearts - Happy that I read it...a good read.
2 of Hearts - Just OK, nothing to write home about
Joker Card - Don't bother (Why did I?)


AGAIN by Lance Zarimba
Published: Sept 2011
Book Source: Untreed Reads Publishing

Love is patient, love is kind, love lasts forever.

An elderly couple revisits their relationship after the husband experiences a debilitating stroke. How will the change in physical abilities and expectations affect their relationship?

My thoughts:
This was a moving short story, well written but giving that it gave new meaning to "short" it did leave me wanting more. While the couple remain nameless their journey to intimacy after the husband's stroke is sensitively captured by the author and the emotion of their relationship is palpable.

She could feel the unevenness of his muscle tone. One side of his body was solid and firm, while the other was soft and pliable. One side was the way things used to be, and the other was the way things were right now.

For this couple love and patience prevailed over physical limitations and emotional trauma. A hopeful read which I'm sure would be appreciated by those experiencing a similar situation.

You can purchase this one on Amazon for $1.49

 
Mom and Dad Aren't Getting Along (Now That Mom's a Zombie) by Garry McNulty
Published:
Book Source: Untreed Reads Publishing

Synopsis: Teddy's teen years were bound to be affected when his mom returned from the supermarket infected by a zombie bite. Dad immediately insisted he and his wife sleep in separate bedrooms. Mom silenced a complaining neighbor by eating him. Then there was the unfortunate Avon Lady incident.

Family harmony hit a new low, however, when Mom discovered Dad's new girlfriend and became one really unhappy zombie. Teddy's doing his best to keep the family together, but it's getting tougher all the time. What's a teenager to do?


My thoughts:
An amusing horror story that gave me quite a few giggles. 

Teddy's mum is a zombie, his best friend Tryker is pretty cool with it but Teddy's dad is not quite as accepting of mum's new, all-flesh diet.

“You know the guy next door, the one who was always coming over to complain about stuff?”

“Tall, skinny, sour-faced guy?”

“That’s the one. He came by yesterday, ranting about something, and my mom attacked him like a lioness bringing down a giraffe. It was horrifying but at the same time…”

“At the same time, TOTALLY AWESOME!” said Tryker, interrupting as he sprang up in the bed. “I wish my mom could do cool shit like that instead of wasting her time on that stupid book club. And gardening.”

Teddy’s trace of a smile changed to a frown. “Of course, I did feel bad about what happened to the Avon lady.”

“Hey, even zombie moms aren’t perfect.”


A great story for reluctant readers with fitting 'teen-speak' and a touch of gruesomeness that would be suitably appreciated by boys in particular.


Pick this one up on Amazon for $1.50






Thanks to Brendan from Untreed Reads for these titles :)

3 comments:

  1. Loved your Six Sentence reviews!!! I posted one too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the reviews. Makes you really get down and dirty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!! That zombie book sounds fun!!! I need to read that!! LOL!! Have a great weekend! :):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box