Monday, April 07, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


A weekly event hosted by Sheila from Book Journey to discuss your reading week ~ the books you've read and those you plan on reading in the coming week. I love this meme, it helps me stay on track ... well, most of the time. Thanks Sheila! 

Here's the layout I did at the charity scrap day. It was a really lovely kit to work with, (by the talented Sue Tonga) not too complicated, perfect for chatting and scrapping lol. I also made a card for a friend but I can't find it *sigh* 

Boys and I Gold Coast 9 years ago
gorgeous kit by Sue Tonga



#bookblogwalkers update #14: Felicia's Book Blog Walkers:  An improvement on last week, I walked 4 days out of 7. Thanks for the encouragement last week. Head over to Felicia's to commit to exercise in April.

*********** 

Reviews & Posts: (click on title)

SELDOM COME BY by Sherryl Caulfield ~ beautiful historical fiction, set in Newfoundland

SAFE HARBOUR by Helene Young ~ another unputdownable read.

HER KIND OF TROUBLE by Sarah Mayberry ~ guest review by Karen 5 stars

************

Finished last week:

THURSDAY'S CHILDREN by Nicci French ~ good but Frieda Klein wow she's a hardass

SIX YEARS by Harlan Coben (audiobook) ~ good audio, not my favourite Coben

************

This Week's Reading List: 


THE SCANDALOUS DUCHESS by Anne O'Brien ~ page 65

COMFORT OF FENCES by Stacy Overman Morrison

KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL by Anthony Bourdain (audiobook)

THE MIDWIFE: A MEMOIR OF BIRTH, JOY AND HARD TIMES by Sandra Worth ~ page 140 but on the back burner til I finish review books.

************

Reviews Coming:

THE PRINCESS OF EGYPT MUST DIE by Stephanie Drey ~ novelette. This was really good, can't wait for full length novel. 

LADY OF THE ENGLISH by Elizabeth Chadwick (audiobook) ~ good but shame about the narrator. 

ORPHAN TRAIN by Christina Baker Kline (audiobook) ~ 5 star fave!! 

WHILE WE WERE WATCHING DOWNTON ABBEY by Wendy Wax (audiobook) ~ loved the story and the narration.




20 comments:

  1. Orphan Train wowed me. Glad it did you, too.

    I'm very curious about the midwife book. Thanks for sharing it.


    Here's my It's Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loveeeeee your lo!! Great colors and loving that flower!! And I just finished Four Friends by Robin Carr ... I really need to stop reading books that depress me! LOL!!!! And I just started "Heaven is for real" -- have you heard of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice picture of you and your sons!

    I want to read Orphan Train. It is so popular at my library. Too bad about the Elizabeth Chadwick book. I hate when the narrator spoils the listening experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orphan Train is on my Kindle along with 1000 other books. I don't know if I will ever get to it. It does sound good though. Nice scrap project too! Come see my week here. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your books, some new to me titles. I want to read Safe Harbour. And I haven't read a book set in Newfoundland so Seldom Come By interests me also. I agree about the Harlan Coben one; Six Years wasn't one of my faves, but the new one, Missing You was a lot of fun. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been a long time since I have read HC. 6 years might not have been his best but I bet it was still good. He is such a fascinating writer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some nice reviews last week, Seldom Come By sounds very nice and the Newfoundland setting sounds intriguing. I've been seeing the Harlan Coben one around too and thinknig about trying him- i like a suspenseful read now and then. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read the Midwife before the series, Call the Midwife, came out and Jennifer Worth has a great story to tell. I enjoyed it. I adore the series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I can't wait until Thursday's Children is available in the US...as you know, I just got Waiting for Wednesday. I like how the books in the series follow the days of the week.

    And yes, Frieda Klein is definitely a hardass! LOL

    Thanks for visiting my blog...and for the congrats. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm listening to Gone for Good--my very first Coben book--and enjoying it. You've highlighted some great looking books, and I'm off to find out more about them.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another lovely layout, I need to read Thursdays Children soon. Have a great week Sheree!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your scrapbook work, you are talented. Well done on the exercise, 4 days at the moment sounds great, I am struggling now with end of school term tiredness. Haven't read any of the books you mention! Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've got to get my scrapbooking mojo back before the grandson is born! You give me motivation. I have yet to get to Orphan Train, not sure why it sits on the bottom, when so many love it. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My book club loved Orphan Train. One of the ladies had been through the foster care system herself and she was almost in tears talking about how well the author captured that experience. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to scrapbook every year a few years ago. This year I am really into art journaling. It's my new favorite hobby next to reading of course!

    I have The Princess Must Die but haven't read it yet. I can't wait to read your review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scrapbooking is a craft I always admire. I'm keen to get in to the craft myself although I am hoping to do specific projects - such as family holidays and such. I always enjoy seeing the works of others.

    Happy Reading!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Orphan Train is on my wishlist, so I cannot wait to read your thoughts on it. Lovely picture of you and the boys :) Also The Midwife is a book that captured my interest, ever since I became a mother that is an occupation that I've found fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that picture of you and your boys. They grow up so fast!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box