Monday, March 30, 2015

Review: Confess by Colleen Hoover

Title: Confess
Author: Colleen Hoover
Genre: NA Contemporary Romance
Publication Date: 10th March 2015
Pages: 320
Book Source: Simon & Schuster AU


Synopsis: Auburn Reed has her entire life mapped out. Her goals are in sight and there’s no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn’t expect to find a deep attraction to the enigmatic artist who works there, Owen Gentry.

For once, Auburn takes a risk and puts her heart in control, only to discover Owen is keeping major secrets from coming out. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything important to Auburn, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it.

The last thing Owen wants is to lose Auburn, but he can’t seem to convince her that truth is sometimes as subjective as art. All he would have to do to save their relationship is confess. But in this case, the confession could be much more destructive than the actual sin… 

My Thoughts:
I confess to a little case of Colleen Hoover insta-love after I succumbed to my friend Karen's nagging and read Maybe Someday. I meant to jump straight into Ugly Love but you know best laid plans and all that. So ... Confess 

"The confessions you read within this novel are true confessions, submitted anonymously by readers. This book is dedicated to all of you who found the courage to share them." 

What a dedication. Doesn't that just grab you and suck you right in?? I loved this unique aspect. And it's not just the confessions. In Maybe Someday it was music, in Confess it's the art. 

Owen Mason Gentry (OMG ... HA) is a local artist whose paintings are inspired by anonymous confessions. Auburn answers a 'help wanted' ad in his studio window. I liked them both, I felt the chemistry sparking between them and their growing connection. That doesn't mean I liked everything about them, at times I wanted to slap Auburn for her lack of backbone but I also felt for her and the awful position she'd been manipulated into.

Who else ... Auburn's flatmate Emory was weirdly awesome, a real bad-ass, she needs her own book. Trey, what an asshat, I'd have cheered if he'd been hit by a bus. And Trey's mother ... two-for-one. Confession: I have zero tolerance for abusive manipulators (can you tell??)

Confess includes original artwork by Danny O’Connor and it is beautiful! Check it out here. It defines Owen and provides intimacy between Owen and Auburn, it's a beautiful vehicle for emotion and communication and gives the story added depth.

The only thing that annoyed me was the whore/slut self-talk. I really wish Colleen Hoover wouldn't do that. Is that just my age showing? Whatever, it's so unnecessary. And Trey ... where's that bus? 

Once again CoHo's writing is highly addictive ... real, sensitive and intensely emotional. Confess is hard to describe, it's not just a love story, it's multi-faceted ... love, loss, strength and courage, sacrifice, self awareness and second chances. 

Lucky for me Ugly Love awaits ... time to feed the addiction. 


Connect with Colleen Hoover




18 comments:

  1. Everyone seems to love this author - I should probably try a book. I enjoyed your review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, it took me quite a while ... and a lot of encouragement from Karen before I finally picked up a Colleen Hoover lol. Glad I did :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your review. I really should read one of Hoover's novels. This sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, hope you enjoy it if you do get around to picking CoHo up.

      Delete
  3. Aw, I LOVE your review!! I'm so glad you enjoyed Confess. And that you like CoHo. Seeing others enjoy my favorite author just makes me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I've joined the CoHo fan club ... I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to read her :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I've only read a few NA but I'm happy to be branching out ;)

      Delete
  5. Loved your review. I confess I haven't read Colleen Hoover, sounds like I should, if you enjoy! I will probably get to read her one day and annoy the hell out of myself because I never got to her sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me Kathryn, I'm kicking myself for waiting so long lol

      Delete
  6. The language you mention would bug me too. I find it takes away from the read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it annoyed me but I didn't find it detracted from my overall enjoyment, hence the high rating :)

      Delete
  7. My dilemma is whether to read in print or listen on audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I loved the book so I bet the audio is just as good, if not better. I hope you choose the audio just so you can let me know what it's like lol ... who is the narrator?

      Delete
  8. Looks like a fun concept. As for the slut slef talk, that's no good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The idea of including the artwork is interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box