Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Swedish Chocolate Cake (Kladdkaka)

Swedish Chocolate Cake (Kladdkaka) - The Eclectic Reader


If your favourite chocolate brownie and lava cake had a baby ... this would be it.

I've been making this cake for years, it's a favourite in our house. I think I started with Nigella Lawson's recipe without the alcohol. Izy from Top with Cinnamon has a fab video for making Kladdkaka and her photos are positively drool-worthy.

It's now my go-to cake, most requested birthday cake, cheer-up cake, visitors-coming-and nothing-to-eat cake, feed-the-addiction cake.


This was a few years ago, maybe 2012? 
the whole family love Kladdkaka


It's easy to make, I mean super easy. You can literally whip this up in 5-10 mins and be stuffing your face licking the plate in 25 minutes. You don't even have to wait for the cake to cool, which is dangerous let me tell you. 

As long as you're careful with the cooking time you'll have sticky, gooey, delicious goodness every time. Crunchy outside, oozy inside. It's not failed me yet! 


Serves 8. Or 2 if you don't feel so generous ;)


Swedish Chocolate Cake (Kladdkaka)

Ingredients:
135g butter
1/2 cup (55g) cocoa powder
1 1/2 cup (300g) sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract 
1 cup (125g) plain flour
3 eggs whisked
Icing sugar (powdered sugar) to dust


Method:
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced, 350°F or 320°F fan-forced) 

Grease a 6" to 8" (16-20cm) cake tin really well and flour. 

In a medium saucepan melt butter, remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, cocoa, sugar and flour. Pour in eggs and stir gently until all ingredients combined. 

Pour into greased cake tin and bake 20-35 mins depending on size of cake tin. This is important. Watch from 20 mins. The center should still feel gooey, don't forget it will continue to cook a little in the tin. 

I've been making this for so long and using the same 8" cake tin, so, mine takes 21 mins in fan-forced oven. 

Let cake cool a little in tin, gently run a blunt knife around the inside of the tin to loosen the cake. Turn onto wire rack. Dust liberally with icing sugar. Serve warm with cream or icecream.

Or if you can't wait or don't need it to look pretty eat serve straight from cake tin. 


Swedish Chocolate Cake (Kladdkaka) - The Eclectic Reader

Don't be impatient like me and gouge the sides out of the cake when you're loosening it with a knife.

Swedish Chocolate Cake (Kladdkaka) - The Eclectic Reader


Swedish Chocolate Cake (Kladdkaka) - The Eclectic Reader


You can eat this cold (if there's any left) but I love it just slightly warmed. 10-15 secs per slice in microwave does the trick. I think I should buy a 6" cake tin, wouldn't this look good as a big, chunky oozy cake ... ooh get in my belly :) 

Be off to the kitchen and make Kladdkaka!! 




Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs.


15 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, have added it to my Pinterest recipes to try. Love the serves 8 or 2 if less generous! I guess your boys would get stuck in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY if you make it for knitting group let me know. My sons could easily polish this off themselves lol ...

      Delete
  2. This sounds like something I would LOVE. I love anything chocolate, but lava cake is for sure a favorite. I will have to try this! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anything for a fellow chocolate lover HA
      I love lava cake too and I love Kladdkaka, funnily enough it's not too sweet and not too rich, it's just right ;)

      Delete
  3. I should make one again..but I need some ice cream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes you totally should lol. I like it with cream, but the rest of the fam have icecream :)

      Delete
  4. Delicious. Glad I am enjoying it virtually rather than IRL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Nise` definitely a 'treat', if only it wasn't so addictive!

      Delete
  5. Ooo thank you for sharing..this sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay. This looks amazing. I may have to make this soon. BTW you can use whatever sausage you want in my recipe today

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this! I'm not technically supposed to eat chocolate (causes acid reflux) but I cheat now and then and this looks worth breaking the rules for :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box