Thursday, January 21, 2010

Alaine's Read Around The World




I was so excited when Alaine - Queen of Happy Endings told me about this read around the world. Saving CeeCee Honeycut is a book I've wanted to read since seeing Vivienne's wonderful review on her blog Serendipity (check it out here)  ...  yippee, can't wait to start! 

Here's what Alaine is doing:

"I want to send this book around the world to be read by lots of my blogging friends until it eventually journeys back to me with everybody's name in it. If you are interested in joining me on this read along all you have to do is send an email to alaineb at bigpond dot net dot au and include your postal address. You also have to tell me if you aren't able to send a book overseas and I will make sure you only post within your own country. Once I've mapped out the books' journey I will put up a post with a Mr Linky on it so that you can let everyone know when you've sent the book on. Each participant will have 2 weeks to read the book and post it on. So essentially you'll get to read this wonderful book for the cost of postage. So send me an email if you want to join or if you have any questions."

If you'd like to participate, head on over to Alaine's blog for all the details. You need to have your email to Alaine by Friday 5th February.


Book Synopsis: Steel Magnolias meets The Help in this Southern debut novel sparkling with humor, heart, and feminine wisdom.

Twelve-year-old CeeCee Honeycutt is in trouble. For years, she has been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille-the tiara-toting, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town-a woman trapped in her long-ago moment of glory as the 1951 Vidalia Onion Queen. But when Camille is hit by a truck and killed, CeeCee is left to fend for herself. To the rescue comes her previously unknown great-aunt, Tootie Caldwell.

In her vintage Packard convertible, Tootie whisks CeeCee away to Savannah's perfumed world of prosperity and Southern eccentricity, a world that seems to be run entirely by women. From the exotic Miz Thelma Rae Goodpepper, who bathes in her backyard bathtub and uses garden slugs as her secret weapons, to Tootie's all-knowing housekeeper, Oletta Jones, to Violene Hobbs, who entertains a local police officer in her canary-yellow peignoir, the women of Gaston Street keep CeeCee entertained and enthralled for an entire summer.
Laugh-out-loud funny and deeply touching, Beth Hoffman's sparkling debut is, as Kristin Hannah says, "packed full of Southern charm, strong women, wacky humor, and good old-fashioned heart." It is a novel that explores the indomitable strengths of female friendship and gives us the story of a young girl who loses one mother and finds many others.




To celebrate blogging friendships & my birthday two lucky readers can take their pick from a choice of 6 books in my Dec/Jan giveaway. Check this blog post for details. International entrants welcome.

9 comments:

  1. You are making me blush!

    I really hope everyone loves it as much as I do. I have lent my copy out and I am anxious to have it back in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This should be fun, I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to read the book. I'm trying to decide if I should read it first or last LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alaine ~ I think you should read it first, if you love it the excitement goes with you and if you don't then you just stay quiet LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the Alaine is such a cool one! So glad you were able to get this book and read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi....great idea!! so participants...! enjoy your reading!! haha! http://coffeecrackers.blogspot.com/2010/01/1st-on-my-wishlist.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Sheree, happy birthday to you!!!

    Hip hip hooray!!!!

    Love ya and hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I loved this one, so I hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box