Sunday, July 12, 2015

Love Affair with Paris



I've had a love affair going with Paris since I was a teenager, it's up there with Disneyland. Last year I had 3 too-short-days in Paris and I can't wait to return for an extended visit.

This week Tamara @ Thyme for Tea, host of Paris in July challenged us to post something about the character of Paris or France for that matter.   

That's what I can't wait to return for ... having time to explore the less touristy areas and really soak up all that is Paris. Paris is crack for photographers and foodies and that being two of my favourite things, I was in heaven.


*sigh* ... fave. I know it's touristy but seriously, carousel and the Eiffel tower, is there anything more romantic?







Gregory Renard's @ 120 Rue St. Dominique I found after a lot of walking. They have exceptional macarons for 1 euro each ...  nom nom. Now I wasn't a huge macaron fan until I ate macarons in Paris but I can now see the appeal. We also had macarons on our walking tour from the famous Pierre Hermé, very fancy schmancy. I will save macarons for Paris :) 

Mathilde M ... that gorgeous vintage, shabby chic, provincial style



this little garden right across the river from Notre Dame, can't remember the name but it's so pretty and very quiet in comparison to the business of the city. It's also a free wifi zone. 



We did the 3 hour Chocolate and Pastry walking tour through Viator. It was expensive but I'd highly recommend doing one if you're only in Paris for a short time ... you cover a lot of ground. Our tour guide Adeline was very knowledgable and friendly.

Poilâne in Saint Germain has been on my go-to list for a while and it just happened to be on our visit list. The sourdough loaf was yum yum yum and the croissant was pretty good too. Has anyone got a died-and-gone-to-heaven recommendation for bakeries/patisseries in Paris? For next time around ... I like to be prepared lol



I'm off to spend some time in France checking out everyone's posts ... the next best thing to actually being there. 


Paris in July hosted by Tamara @ Thyme for Tea

I'm also linking up with Paulita's Dreaming of France meme over at 


Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs.



39 comments:

  1. I felt transported if just for a little while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's exactly how I feel, every time I read a Paris in July post :)

      Delete
  2. Paris is on my list too and like you I'd like to spend some time there. Hopefully one day. In the meantime loving the posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed for sooner rather than later Mystica, but this is the next best thing :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful....

    I've never been but it's my dream to go to Italy sometime.

    On the food front, I'm coeliac so worried French (or Italian) food would be somewhat problematic! :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes when I went I wasn't gluten free ... I would sure miss the beautiful pastries and breads. Italy is on my bucket list too Deb!

      Delete
  4. Mmm a chocolate and pastry walking tour in France. I'd do that happily! Have never been to France. I do remember though one of my sisters losing her money there when she sat for a picture sketch and must have been a ploy because money gone. She was in her early twenties at the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. best thing and lots of walking so I didn't even feel guilty lol. Oh that would have been a downer on her holiday, we were told to be careful around the main tourist spots.

      Delete
  5. I tried macaroons and was not a fan, but then, they were not Paris macaroons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same but now I will enjoy them in Paris haha

      Delete
  6. oh Paris is just wonderful right?? I love going to the Eiffel Tour, but honestly the L'ouvre is what won me over. I am big fan of art and culture, so that was a big win for me. We only did a day trip to Pairs, but boy was it fun and the food was so FABULOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to squeeze things in when you're only there for a short time but just makes me more determined to go back for a nice, long holiday :)

      Delete
  7. ahhhhh Paris. I have spent so much time there, but I really can never get enough. Merci beaucoup pour les photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you lucky ducky Lauren ... I will keep dreaming!

      Delete
  8. I need one of those rotisserie machines for my house! LOL! Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I went to Paris about 15 years ago with my mom and sisters but my husband has little desire to visit! Can you imagine? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon Trish ... and your hubby needs his head examined LOL

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pictures! I'd love to go to Paris. My sister was there this spring and had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teddy, It seems that you packed in a lot in only three days. You've definitely captured a lot of the character of Paris. I'm not a macaron fan, only because I'd rather save my calories for chocolate. Thanks for playing along with Dreaming of France. My next Dreaming of France post is up now. Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Paulita, chocolate vs macarons ... chocolate wins :))

      Delete
  11. How did I miss the Chocolate and Pastry walking tour?!?!? I knew I wanted to go back someday and now I have a reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved it Stacy but next time I'd love to do a photography walking tour :)

      Delete
  12. Beautiful photos!! I especially love the carousel ones - so pretty! I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to visit Paris - I hope you get to go back again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dreaming big ... and in the mean time there is Paris in July ;)

      Delete
  13. I'm dying with all the Paris posts!!! Love your photos and now I have a craving for really good crusty bread!

    I was off the grid this weekend (camping) so that's why I'm late coming around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too Beth, living the dream through everyone's posts :)

      Delete
  14. I die and go to heaven every time I go to Paris. I think Gerard Mulot makes my favourite macarons. Paris Hot Chocolate (Chocolat Chaud) is Extraordinary- Angelina's is dark and thick, thick, thick. But Jacques Genin makes a silky, milkier version that is my current favourite- actually everything he does is incredible. Other must do are Patisserie des Reves and Victor and Hugo and Eclair de Genie. Walking down Rue du Bac, or galloping through the new food court at Galleries Lafayette can accomplish many of these at once.David Leibovitz's Paris Pastry app an essential guide. I've gushed about many of my favourites on the blog at some time too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks Louise my mouth is watering ... Jacques Genin sounds like the perfect chocolate chaud for me too. And your other recommendations have been added to my list. We did actually take some Gerard Mulot goodies on the train back to London!

      Delete
  15. Love these photos! They remind me so much of the Paris I love so dearly! I'd love to do the chocolate/pastry tour! AND to Poilane. I noticed you'd read On Rue Tatin -- I loved that. I'd love to take one of her classes sometime! Thanks so much, too, for stopping by my Paris in July post on Montmartre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so envious finishing On Rue Tatin, it made me want to take up residence in Louviers. Is her cooking school still going? that would be a wonderful experience!

      Delete
  16. Great photos-what camera are you shooting with. Favourite pastry shops Ble Sucre for tart tatin, Gerald Mulot for everything, Poilane for the bread, stop by the restaurant next door for a tartine, I adore Mathilde M and have a few of her items in my home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Esme, Nikon D610 and some on my iphone. Next time I'd love to do a photography walk in Paris. And yippee adding a few more pastry shops to my list for next time. We actually took some Gerald Mulot yummies on the train back to London :)

      Delete
  17. Of course Angelina, Genin for his caramels. rue de Martyrs has a great shop-it is a good food street-I can picture the shop I just cannot remember the name amazing tarts. Ill come back with the name. Poplini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Poplini YES that was on my list last time and I was disappointed I didn't get there.

      Delete
  18. Love the photos especially the carousel it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box