Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Genre: YA Fantasy
Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls #3
Copyright: 2011
Pages: 390
Book Source: Own purchase

Synopsis: The conclusion to #1 bestselling Shiver trilogy. In Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. In Linger they fought to be together. Now, in Forever, the stakes are even higher than before. Wolves are being hunted. Lives are being threatened. And love is harder and harder to hold on to as death comes closing in.

Review:
This was a good conclusion to the trilogy but it pains me to say I was a little disappointed. It didn't leave me breathless like Shiver or have the edgy tension of Linger. Maggie's writing is beautiful as always but I guess I was expecting more.

“In the darkness, he is invisible, but I can still feel him beside me. Sometimes you don't have to see something to know it is there.”    

The bittersweet quality that I loved in Shiver and Linger still exists in Forever but my emotions never quite reached the same feverpitch. As much as I adore Sam & Grace together their haunting love story seemed to have lost some of it's pull :(

I liked Cole in Linger but he grew on me even more in Forever, he & Isabel reveal a depth to their character beneath all the bravado and bluster. I loved their sarcastic humour too!

After a languid start the pace picks up about halfway through the novel and by that stage I was loathe to put the book down. Heart racing, nail-biting and a wistful, delicate conclusion in keeping with the magical tone of the entire series.
I'm sad to say goodbye to the mesmerising beauty of Sam, Grace & the wolves of Mercy Falls.




Being a fan of Maggie's writing I'm looking forward to The Scorpio Races coming October 2011.
See Maggie's website and live journal to find out more about this fabulous author and her work.

Click on the title to see my review of Shiver - a favourite read in 2009 & Linger in 2010.







8 comments:

  1. I had the same reaction to this book as you did. I was a bit disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely preferred Cole and Isabel in this book; they were so much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta get my act together and read book 2 so I can read book 3

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son can not wait to read this one...hope he doesn't cry that it's not as good!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to get to this series. Everyone I know seems to like/love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really should read this just to finish off the series. I loved the first but the second not so much

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a big fan of Maggie's and loved Forever. I guess some people were disappointed. But i wasn't one of them. Cannot wait to read Scorpio Races.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do have a weak spot for young adult books, and this being the third in the trilogy really scratched my itch and wanting Maggie to write more. This left me fluttery in the heart for days after reading.
    View this site for Indianapolis Web Design Service

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box