Tuesday, October 25, 2011

You Are My Only by Beth Kephart

Genre: YA Contemporary
Publication Date: 25th October 2011
Pages: 256
Book Source: Egmont USA & NetGalley

Synopsis: Emmy Rane is married at nineteen, a mother by twenty. Trapped in a life with a husband she no longer loves, Baby is her only joy. Then one sunny day in September, Emmy takes a few fateful steps away from her baby and returns to find her missing. All that is left behind is a yellow sock.

Fourteen years later, Sophie, a homeschooled, reclusive teenage girl is forced to move frequently and abruptly from place to place, perpetually running from what her mother calls the "No Good." One afternoon, Sophie breaks the rules, ventures out, and meets Joey and his two aunts. It is this loving family that gives Sophie the courage to look into her past. What she discovers changes her world forever . . .

Review:
This is a story full of subtleties; quietly moving, intimate, aching, escalating in tension and quite beautiful.

Once I understood the reason for Beth's writing style in You Are My Only, I fell in love with it. I guess it may not be appreciated by everyone but when you think about an author's means of conveying such emotion in a small time frame, it makes perfect sense.

I also love stories with alternating narratives, especially when done well and Beth portrays Emmy and Sophie with insight and compassion. Emmy's voice is almost breathless, loose and disjointed but at the same time poetic which is extremely fitting considering her distressing & pitiful circumstances.

“I have Baby’s sock in my purse. I have the smell of her in my heart.”

It was wonderful to see Sophie gain courage and enlightenment once she had a support network of friends with next door neighbour Joey and his Aunts. In some ways she seemed a lot younger than her 14 years with the running from the unexplained "No Good" but in other ways she was wise beyond her years.

Beth Kephart gives as much attention to her 'minor' characters as she does Emmy and Sophie. I loved Joey and his adorable Aunts, Cloris and Helen and sweet Autumn, Emmy's 'roomie' in the psychiatric institution.   

It was easy to relate to the heartache, the circumstances beyond their control but I didn't find this a depressing read. It was equally easy to revel in Sophie's new-found joy in small wondrous things; eating a cookie, flying a kite, having a friend.

I'm wholeheartedly recommending this one to mature YA readers and adults and Beth will go on my "author's who write from the heart" list! 

Check out Beth's blog here.

10 comments:

  1. What a fantastic review for a great book, or so I've heard...still waiting for my copy to arrive on the doorstep.

    Btw, I've been away from blogs for a long while, but having a baby will do that to you. I really like the blog loo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me wondering about her style now...I do like to wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to this book. I need to go and pick it up! Hope you are feeling better after your medication reaction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheree, thank you SO much for this — and thank you for letting me know this was out there, so rich with its beauty (and kindness).

    I write from the heart because it is the only one I know how to write. For better, or for worse.

    With great appreciation,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's a fantastic writer and so are you! Loved this review and can't wait to read my copy of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful review. I haven't heard of this book before, but I can't wait to read this story. Off to the library this morning for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do enjoy this genre, and its not one I get to read often.
    This sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one sounds like my "cup of tea." I do love books that show us the small moments in life, and give them an extraordinary perspective.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also adore Kephart's ability to weave magic in her stories. The characters, the emotions, it's amazing. So glad you enjoyed this one. It's on my list too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box