Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Genre: YA Dystopian
Series: Divergent #1
Publication Date: 3rd May 2011
Pages: 487
Book Source: Own purchase

Synopsis: In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.


My Thoughts:
Squeeee ... it's been a long time since I've no-holds-barred raved about a book but this is officially my favourite read of 2012 and the first 5 star read on my blog this year. What an adrenaline rush; it'll take something pretty darn special to knock Divergent off its illustrious perch.

If you're one of the last people on the planet to read Divergent (like me) or you've been living under a rock, (guilty) trying to ignore the hype (face palms) then let me assure you this book surpasses the hype, it's astounding, it's epic, it's squeeworthy and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long.  

Divergent is both plot and character driven and the world building is second to none.
Five factions: Abnegation; the selfless, Amity; the peaceful, Candor; the honest, Dauntless; the brave and Erudite; the intelligent.

All 16 year old's face an aptitude test and the annual Choosing Ceremony where they make the choice to stay in the faction they were raised in or choose a new faction. Beatrice (Tris as we come to know her) is from Abnegation, she's a compelling character, courageous, stubborn, and resourceful enough to turn her weaknesses into strengths. Four is all hard edges with a vulnerable underside, tough and aloof, and hot without knowing it.

Divergent left me questioning; which faction would I choose? Which character traits define your worth? What's outside the fence?

Divergent is riveting, highly addictive and it left me desperate for more .... the upside of being late to the party, I ripped straight into Insurgent. Divergent is one of those rare reads that transcends age. Unputdownable, breathtaking originality, suspense, violence, tender moments. Divergent is Dystopian at its very best!



Visit Veronica Roth's blog to find out more about this author and her work  




14 comments:

  1. Great review! I really enjoyed this book but I loved the sequel even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I loved Insurgent just as much as Divergent but for different reasons. With the newness of the world now familiar I loved the focus on the neuropsychology and of course the non-stop action :))

      Delete
  2. Wowwwwwwwwww!! This sounds AWESOME!! Adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hand is raised - I would be one of those who have yet to read the book AND I own it, sigh...must get to it.
    The author is from my area...well close to my stomping grounds...which is the main reason I bought the book. I would like to support local authors more, kind tough to do though since I am not aware of many from my neck of the woods.

    I just saw that she is doing a book signing so very close to me on June 8th. Ugh...that would be good to take the girls too but I work. Ugh...ugh. Oh wait, checked again, I don't work but I do work very early the next morning.l.lthinking, thinking. Should i read this book now and then go? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, YES, YES!!! Deanna, can you tell I'm screaming at you. Put everything aside, you can read Divergent in a day, or two if you work LOL. Go to the book signing, I'm green with envy :))

      Delete
  4. I loved your review and all of the gushing! Note to self: make sure to have both books before diving in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fit into all those categories above. I will definitely pick this up now since it was unputdownable :)
    Thanks Aussie sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL let me know when you do Jenny! I did the same thing with The Hunger Games, read it 12 months or so after release and 2nd book was released :)

      Delete
  6. I loved this book so much when I read it as well. I've been recommending it like crazy to people because I just couldn't get enough of it :) I'm holding off on reading Insurgent just because I don't want to have to wait so long for the 3rd book to come out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really loved this book, read the second book right after and now I am anxiously awaiting the third. I agree with you on the Jeannie reasoning. There was none, she is supposed to be erudite but the decision to slaughter the abnegation just did not make sense. I am sure she could have found a better way to get what she wanted.

    regards,
    maycee of Glitter Gift Baskets

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box