Thursday, January 01, 2009

Marley and Me by John Grogan

Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog

My Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Read: January 2009

A quirky story told by American journalist John Grogran about his family's life with their Labrador Retriever, Marley. A simple, honest telling that was a bit slow in the middle and sometimes a little repetitive. I did agree with the reviewer that commented on the irresponsibility of people willing to pay for a dog but failing to research a breed or the breeder until after the fact. Sounded a little stupid for a journalist.

 I laughed out loud at quite a few of Marley's antics & challenging ADHD behaviour. I gagged at all the references to flying drool, slobber on lounges, lamp shades, faces, clothes and hair covering every surface including food. The descriptions of Marley's loyalty and pure heart even with declining health & severe illness were extremely touching. This book brought back memories of the unconditional love and loyalty we received in the 10 years with our Rottie Rajah. It also brought a few tears & reminded me of the sadness of watching your pet's health deteriorate & saying goodbye to a loved member of the family. One who looks at you with such implicit trust in their eyes.

Towards the end of the book John Grogan tells of the poignant life lessons learned courtesy of Marley. "... living each day with unbridled enthusiasm and joy, seizing the moment and following your heart." Marley taught him to "appreciate the simple things, about optimism in the face of adversity & about friendship, selflessness and unwavering loyalty." I also really enjoyed the movie. Due to the obvious time constraints in a movie, there were no slow, repetitive sections like in the book, things occured on a slightly different time schedule. I laughed out loud but a box of tissues is also required!

If you like this review vote for it on Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. Oh I cried too. Was the movie sad as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need a box of tissues for the movie, I sobbed. And the movie finishes on the sad note unlike the book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn! I think I know why Mom told me not to read it until I have an apartment of my own where I can actually have a dog...
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box